Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FLASHBACK...

I just thought that it would be cool if we all flashed back to the day that I had Lyla. I just recently wrote down my whole Labor & Deliver story, and I thought it would be cool to share it with you all. I know that most of you already know how it went down, but some of you don't, so here it is....
--------------------------------------------------------------------
About three weeks prior to having Lyla, I had gone into the hospital because I thought I had started my labor. This was August 20th, so it was still a bit early. After hours at the hospital, I was told that I was in early labor and that I should go home. At that point I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. My Mom and I thought labor was just around the corner, but nothing happened for three weeks!
So it’s now September 2nd and I have a routine OB appointment. My Mom takes off work to come with me, just in case the doctor sees anything or I go into labor. My doctor checks me and I am the same as I was three weeks ago. Ugh! She strips my membranes, and asks me if I had any questions. I ask her if it is possible for me to get an induction since I have been in early labor for three weeks. It was VERY uncomfortable. She checks with L&D and informs me that I can head on over there. Yay!
So we got over to L&D and they tell me that they want me to come in at 10PM the following day for my induction. I can’t believe Lyla is almost here!
At 10PM my Mom and I drive the 45 minute drive to the hospital. They get me set up in a room, and guess what? I have the same nurse who took care of me in triage three weeks earlier! LOL! She was SUPER nice! LOL! Anywho, she goes over my birthing plan with me, hooks me up to an IV and tells me that they will begin the Pitocin at 4:30AM.
Mom and I both sleep, and then they finally start the Pitocin. About an hour goes by and I have having strong contractions, but absolutely no pain. Misty (my nurse) ups the dosage about three times, but still there is no pain. Around 6AM I decide to back into bed and catch some much needed rest. I sleep for about an hour and a half, and am woken up by Misty who says she needs to check me. She does and says I am about 4cm and 90% effaced. She ups the dosage again and leaves.
Around 8AM Misty comes in with another nurse, Diane, who will be taking care of me the rest of my labor. I thank Misty and greet Diane. Diane tells me that Dr. Fara (who is not my normal OB) will be in at 9:30AM to break my water, and that should hopefully speed things up. Mom calls Dad and Alexa to tell them to get down here.
As promised, Dr. Fara comes in at 9:30. He is a very nice man. He checks me and I am about the same as I was before. He breaks my water, and amniotic fluid gushes to the floor. That is probably one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced in my life. Its like you are peeing yourself, but you have no control over it. You can’t stop the flow. LOL!
Anywho, Dad and Lexy show up and Mom and Dad go downstairs to get some breakfast. Me and Lexy watch Law and Order. My contractions are finally starting to hurt. At first they are bearable, but then they get crazy! Alexa doesn’t know what to do. I am wincing in pain. I ask her to turn off the TV and call Mom. But Mom walks in just then. I remember her telling me that she just knew something was wrong. I guess its that motherly intuition.
So Diane comes in and checks me, I am 5cm 95% effaced. Mom tells her I want a birthing ball to sit on. I sit on that thing for an hour. The contractions are excruciating, but Mom helps me breath through them. All the while sitting on that ball, fluid is still rushing to the floor. EW! LOL!
So it’s now 11:00 and I am feeling like I need to get back into bed. I cannot hold myself up any longer. Once in bed the nurse tells me that Lyla’s heartbeat is irregular. They give me a shot of Stadol in my IV to help calm me down. It did not take away any of the pain, but it really did help me relax. Diane also checked me and I was 6cm and 100%.
Now it’s about 11:20 and I feel the strong urge to push. I didn’t say anything because Diane had just checked me and I was nowhere near ready to push. Finally it became to unbearable and Mom called the nurse. All she had to do was look at me down there and she says, “Yep! You going to have a baby!” Everyone rushes into the room. Dr. Fara, Diane, Diana the Nursery Nurse, and two nursing students. Lexy and Mom take their places at my head, and Daddy practically runs out of the room.
I start to push, and I fail miserably. Dr. Fara steps back because he thinks this is going to take hours. Finally I get the hang of the pushing thing the second time, and he runs back toward me. LOL! “Maybe this won’t take so long after all!” After about 10 mins of pushing, Dr. Fara tells me that he can make a small episiotomy and Lyla will be born in a matter of minutes. Without any hesitation I t he can make a small episiotomy and Lyla will be born in a matter of minutes. Without any hesitation I yell, “DO IT!” Everyone laughs and he makes the cut.
Her head is crowning now and Dr. tells me to stop pushing. The cord is around her neck, and he needs to get it off. He unwinds the cord and now tells me to give him a small puff push. I do, and out comes her head. After another push her shoulders pass, and out comes my beautiful girl!
I am so tired that I lay my head back and forget what just happened. Mom yells, “Oh Kylee! She’s so beautiful!” I look and see my daughter. Diana hands Lyla to me and I cannot contain my awe. She is finally here! She was so beautiful, even covered in all the blood and guts.
After 15 minutes of pushing, I had my baby girl. She was finally here. She got a 9 on her first APGAR score and then a 10 in her second. Daddy came into the room once I was all cleaned up and sewed up, and held Lyla for the first time. It was a beautiful ending to our very long and painful journey over the past 9 months. Lyla Jayne is finally here!

Stats:
  • Weight - 6lbs 10oz
  • Length - 20 inches
  • Due Date - Setember 7th, 2008
  • Birthday - September 4th, 2008
  • Hair - Light Brown
  • Eyes - Blue
  • Proud Mommy - Kylee!!!!

I love you Lyla! Your birth was the best thing that has ever happend to me! Mommy will never forget that day. I love you forever and ever! ♥
---------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. I am hoping for an epidural free birth! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kylee that is so sweet. I could have never gone the natural route.

    ReplyDelete