Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Staying Positive

Yesterday during school out instructor has us do this really amazing exercise. It was kinda cheesy and cliche, but it was really empowering. What she did was tape a piece of paper onto all of our backs and then had us go around and write something positive about each person. Now, if anyone has ever heard the rumor that Beauty School has more drama than a day-time soap opera, then you have pretty much heard a very accurate description. Beauty School is FULL of drama. Horrible, horrible drama. So as you can imagine, there are some people in the class who don't like other people.

That being said, it was very hard for some of us to find positive things to say about some of the other students. We all really tried though, and the end result was really awesome. Everyone un-taped their papers, and read what the other students had to say about them, and smiles broke out across the room. It was really powerful.

This exercise made me realize something. Wouldn't life be much more enjoyable if everyone focused on the positive instead of the negative? I mean, I know its human nature to judge those we see, but we really don't know what another person has gone through. I am a young mother and I sure as heck don't want someone to judge me  before they get to know me. If they got to know me they would see that I am an awesome mother, and a cool person to hang around [I hope! LOL!]

So my new goal is this: I am going to try to say one positive thing to every person I talk to, every single day. Through this exercise, maybe I will learn to actually talk to someone before I judge them on how they look, or how they talk, or how they carry themselves. I really want to help make the world a better place, and share the love of God with others. How am I ever going to do that if I am negative all the time? I'M NOT!!

At the end of the week, I will be posting what I learned from this little experiment, and if any of you choose to take my latest challenge, then come on back here on Saturday and share what you learned through your "Stay Positive" exercise. Good luck everyone! May the Force be with you! :D

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your stay positive program!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please Please try this out for a week, you will honestly feel amazing afterwards!!! I decided sometime last year that I would try and give everyone atleast some sort of compliment everyday if possible. At first I would try really hard at it but now like 6 months later I catch myself ALWAYS giving out compliments just because it makes me happy to see someone smile.

    Not only will you notice a difference in yourself but I've had other people notice such a postive change in me :) Im looking forward to your follow up blog on this!

    ReplyDelete